Torr Of Kedlock

Torr Of Kedlock LOG S NO377196 1 362 110m

    mons qui vocatur Torcatholach 1240 x 1244 Balm. Lib. no. 39 [‘the hill which is called Torrkedlock’; see LOG Intro., Medieval Lands]
    Thorcatloch in Fiff 1243 x 1254 Balm. Lib. no. 58 [papal confirmation]
    Torcatholach 1244 Balm. Lib. no. 40 [royal confirmation of Balm. Lib. no. 39]
    le Tor 1512 RMS ii no. 3715 [see Kedlock LOG]
    Tor-Cathlok 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 396 [17th c. copy]
    Torris Estir et Westir 1548 RMS iv no. 179 [part of barony of Kinnear]
    Torcaithlock c.1560 s Purves 152 [in ‘Quarter of Edyn’]
    Torcathlok 1622 Retours (Fife) no. 323 [Kinnear; see Craigsanquher LEU]
    Torris Eister et Westir 1623 RMS viii no. 469 [with a pendicle called Pepperland; [313] see LOG Intro., Medieval Lands]
    (lands of) Torhill 1623 RMS viii no. 469 [see LOG Intro., Medieval Lands]
    Torres 1623 RMS viii no. 469 [see LOG Intro.]
    E. Torr 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    W. Torr 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Torr 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Torr of Kedlock]
    W. Torr 1828 SGF [NO371189; nothing here on OS Pathf.]
    Tor 1898 OS 1 inch 2nd edn [= OS Pathf. Torr of Kedlock]

G tòrr + en Kedlock

‘(Pointed or conical) hill of Kedlock’. The addition of the preposition of is late (probably twentieth century). The early forms are wholly Gaelic in construction, using Kedlock as a specific. The earliest occurrence of this name (1240 × 1244) refers to a relief feature, no doubt the prominent Kedlock Hill (160 m).

/ˌtɔrˈkɛdlɔk/ or /ˌtɔrˈkɛdlək/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4