Straiton LOG S NO419228 2
Estate of Straiton 1827 Plan of the Estate of Straiton [in the possession of Mr A. Mylius, St Fort, Fife; surveyed by J. ?. Martin]
Straiton 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Straiton 1828 SGF [also Straiton F<ar>m beside ‘Cruivie Castle in Ruins’]
North Straiton 1841 MacLeod 1996, 132 [Census; farmed by Charles Clark]
South Straiton 1841 MacLeod 1996, 132 [Census; farmed by Wm Galloway]
North Straiton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
South Straiton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
A transferred name ‘transported to this locality for part of the lands of Cruivie at the beginning of the nineteenth century’ (Smart and Fraser 1995, 54), that part being Easter Cruivie. Unfortunately, they do not say from where: there is Straiton AYR and Straiton MLO, south of Edinburgh. The name does not appear on Ainslie/Fife (1775), the earliest record being 1827.
The marches of Straiton on the 1827 Plan of the Estate of Straiton (the property of Sir Robert Henderson) are slightly different from the present-day ones. The field-names on this plan are very descriptive (e.g. ‘east of steading’), as would be expected in a new lay-out and recent naming.
OS Pathf. shows North Straiton and South Straiton, as well as North Straiton Wood and Straiton Hill. The NGR given above is for South Straiton. On SGF (1828) Straiton is OS Pathf. North Straiton, while Straiton Farm is OS Pathf. South Straiton.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4