Brighouse

Brighouse LOG S NO407215 1 352 100m

    Brighous de Logymurtho 1473 RMS ii no. 1139
    Brighous 1477 RMS ii no. 1302
    le Brighous 1477 RMS ii no. 1303 [Wemyss of Rires]
    Bryghouse 1522 Fife Ct. Bk. 237 [see (Wester) Cruivie LOG]
    terras de Brighous 1546 RMS iv no. 36 [lands sold by Alex. Balfour, rector of Luncarty (Loncardy) PER and vicar of Kilmany, to Alex. Sibbald and his wife, Elizabeth Methven; in barony of Myrecairnie KLM]
    terris de Brighous 1548 Retours (Fife) no. 15 [see Myrecairnie KLM]
    Bridgehouse 1775 Ainslie/Fife

Sc brig + Sc house

‘Bridge-house’. Although the present farm of this name is at least a kilometre from the Motray Water, the bridge referred to in the name must have been a bridge at or very near where the present road crosses the Motray at NO395220. Its lands must have included this bridge, and it is possible that the tenants of Brighouse had some special duty to maintain and/or collect tolls on the eponymous bridge.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4