Silver Moss

Silver Moss # LEU S NO453234 1 10m

    (a third of) Sylverwelmos 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    (third of lands of) Silverwelmos 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    (half of) Silvermure 1637 RMS ix no. 704 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Silverielmoir 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [James earl of Southesk]
    Silverwellmoiss 1688 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [Charles earl of Southesk]
    Severwellmoss 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [James earl of Southesk]
    Silver Moss 1785 RHP1684

Sc siller + Sc wall + Sc moss

‘Moss of the silver well’, perhaps better ‘moss of *Silver Well’. On the 1785 Plan (RHP1684) a Coal House is shown on the south side of Silver Moss, now a boggy area on the eastern side of St Michael’s Wood. A cutting off the Great Drain led to this point, and coal was probably brought in by barge (JMH).

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4