Salwhoch # LEU S NO4217 3
Salechoc 1207 St A. Lib. 86 [1 of 10 vills in LEU; see p. 482, above]
Salwhoch 1240 St A. Lib. 164 [a vill owing garbal teinds to St Andrews Priory]
? G seileach + ? –ōc
‘Willow place’ ? This name may contain OG sailech (modern G seileach) ‘willow’. There is no record of this name after the mid-thirteenth century. From its close association with lands such as Seggie, Bruckley and Dron, we can assume that it lay in the south-west corner of the parish.
There are other words which may lie behind the first element: sàl (m.) ‘sea, salt-water’; sàil (f) ‘heel’, also used of a spur of land. Early forms of Sauchope CRA (PNF 3 ) are very similar e.g. Salcohc St A. Lib. 344; compare also Sauchar ELI (PNF 3), Sauchie, Alloa parish CLA, and Pittachope FLK, above.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4