Blairhall

Blairhall CUS S NS996876 1 393 35m NEF

Blarehall 1498 RSS no. 182 [‘forthocht fellony done by Johne Nelesoun (John Nelson) and uther thre personis, duelland in Culross-schir, within the schirefdome of Perth, ... apon Schir Andro Masoun (Andrew Mason) abbote of Culros and his complices at Blarehall’]
Johne Glen of Blarehall 1498 RSS no. 183 [‘the reif of twa kye fra Johne Glen (John Glen) of Blarehall’]
Blairhall 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
Blarishall 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [‘in the pastures of Blairhall (in pascuis de Blarishall)’]
mora de Blairhall 1540 x 1543 RMS iii no. 2869 [see CUS Introduction]
(Robert Bruce of) Blairhall 1587 Culross Chrs. 80
Blairhall 1574 x 1586 RMS v no. 1109
Blairhall 1589 RMS v no. 1675
Blairhall 1609 RMS vii no. 9
(Robert Bruce of) Blairhall 1629 RMS viii no. 1406
? Blairhaugh 1697 Pitfirrane Writs no. 684
Blairhall 1730 Cooper (Adair)
Blair hall 1753 Roy sheet 16, 1
Blairhall 1776 Taylor and Skinner
Blairhall 1783 Stobie
Blairhall 1821 Ainslie/S. Scotland

en Blair + Sc hall

This refers to the farm of Blairhall, which includes Blairhall Mains (OS Pathf. NS989873) and Blairhall described as ‘the ancient estate of Blairhall, which in [Culross’s] charter forms part of the north boundary of the burgh’ (Beveridge 1885, ii, 369). It probably gave rise to the village of that name c.2 km north-east of Blairhall farm. The existing name Blair may derive from the area around Blair Castle, on the coast c.2 km west of Culross, which see for more details. Note also Blair in Carnock parish, c.2 km east of Blairhall village.

/bler hɔl/, locally /bler hɔ:/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1