Rash Myre

Rash Myre #~ LEU W NO468247 1 5m

    (third of) Raschemyre 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [Leuchars-Ramsay; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies]
    (third of lands of) Raschmyre 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
?   marresi<um> lie Rysmyr 1595 RMS vi no. 220 [see Rhynd LEU, below]
    (third of lands of) Raischemyre 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 218 [Robert Forbes of Rires KCQ, in barony of Leuchars-Forbes, with salmon fishing in the Eden]
    tertiam partem de Rashiemyre 1622 RMS viii no. 370 col. 2 [to Andrew Bruce; ‘third of Rash Myre with 2 shares in the barn of Earlshall, and 4 lots extending to 4 acres lying to the north above the toun of Balbeuchly LEU, with 2 tofts of Balbeuchly belonging to them’ (cum duobus lie daillis horreo de Erlishall existentibus, et 4 lie cavillis extenden<tibus> ad 4 acras jacen<tibus> borealiter super villam de Balbuchlie, cum duabus toftis de Balbuchlie ad ea (sic) pertinen<tibus>); part of barony of Leuchars-Bruce (Leucharis-Bruce)]
    Rossh myre 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Rashemyre 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [James earl of Southesk]
    tertia parte de Raschiemyre 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 975 [to Andrew Bruce of Earlshall, ‘in a third of Rash Myre’, part of the barony of Leuchars-Bruce]
    ( 3 rd of lands of) Rashmyre 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1273 [Forbes of Rires]
    ( 3 rd of lands of) Ryschemyre 1688 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [earl of Southesk, barony of Leuchars-Ramsay]
    ( 3 rd of lands of) Rashemyre 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [as in preceding]
    Rash Myre 1789 RHP1275

Sc rash + Sc mire

‘Rush mire’. The rushes are clearly those which, in an earlier period, gave rise to the name Leuchars itself. It is shown on Blaeu (Pont) East Fife as a large body of water almost cutting the parish in two. However, as its name suggests, it was more a marsh than a loch, although it would no doubt have moved between the two depending on the season. It was drained in the late eighteenth century by the Great Drain and the deepening of the Lundin Burn (JMH).

    There is also a Rashy Meadow on RHP1275 (1789), a little south of Rhynd.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4