Pittenbroig # LEU S
? (Alexander Inglis of) Pettinbrog c.1550 NAS National Register of Archives 0153/13 [feu-charter by Robert Pitcairn (Petcayrne) principal archdeacon of St Andrews, with consent of James archbishop of St Andrews, in favour of Alexander Inglis of Pettinbrog, Margaret Barclay of Tarvit, his spouse, and John Inglis, their natural son, of lands of Strathtyrum SSL and *Cooks Crofts (Cuickis Croftis) with house and orchard thereof belonging to the principal archdeacon]
Pittenbraig 1788 Sasines no. 1934 [half a tenement in Leuchars and half a piece of land in Pittenbraig, barony of Leuchars Forbes]
Pittenbroig 1822 Sasines no. 680 [half a tenement of land in Leuchars, half an acre in Pittenbroig, and five acres of the Tentsmuirs, parish of Leuchars]
G pett + G an + G bròg
‘Farm or land-holding of the shoe(s)’, containing G bròg ‘shoe’ f., gen. sing. bròige (OG bróc, pl bróca). The name occurs also near Abernethy PER, as Pittenbrog # ANY PER, formerly ANY FIF, NO19 13, a prebend of the church of Abernethy, early forms of which are Pittinbrog 1531 RSS ii no. 791; and Pettinbrog 1577 RMS iv no. 2737), and which survived into the nineteenth century as Pittenbroag Craig 1828 SGF and Craig of Pittenbrog OS 6 inch 1st edn. In the early church context of Abernethy, it is perhaps best interpreted as referring to lands whose revenue, or the hides of whose cattle, went to supplying the footwear for the early religious community at Abernethy. Compare ‘Shoe Lane’ in London, which refers to an endowment of land to provide footwear for a monastic community (Hough 1993, 141).
There is no such clear link with an early church community in the case of Pittenbroig # LEU, although, if the above analysis applies here, too, then some early connection with Kilrymont (St Andrews) is the most plausible.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4