The Dean Plantation 1850s OS Name Book 127, 36
Dean Plantation 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
It takes its name from Pitfirrane Dean, which traverses the eastern end of this large plantation. The use of Sc or SSE dean ‘(deep) valley, gorge’, is unusual in Fife, the standard form of this word being den.
OS Name Book (127, 36) describes it as follows: ‘A large Plantation consisting of Fir & Forest timber, on the South side of the Stirling & Dunfermline Railway. A stream forming the Boundary between the Parishes of Carnock and Dunfermline runs thro’ it, which bears no name’. This stream or burn is named on OS Pathf. as Pitfirrane Dean, taking its name from Pitfirrane DFL (PNF 1).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1