Milton

Milton LEU S NO445206 1 352 5m

    (third part of) miln of Lu<c>heris 1306 x 1329 RMS i app. 2 no. 488 B [17th c. index; printed Lutheris; Wemyss; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies]
    (third part of) Mylnetoun 1467 RMS ii no. 900 [to Thomas of Wemyss]
    le Mylnetone 1477 RMS ii no. 1302
    (third part of) Myletoun 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 col. 1 [probably an error for Miln(e)toun; to the Ramsays; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies]
    Myltoun 1540 RMS iii no. 2116
    Mylntoun 1551 ER xviii, 531 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Myltoun c.1560 s Assumption, 13
    tertie partis terrarum de Mylntoun 1567 ER ix, 565 [‘a third of lands of Milton’ with the whole of both grain mills and their Shillinghaugh]
    Mylnetoun 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    (in lands of) Milnetoun 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 218 [Robert Forbes of Rires]
    Leucharis-mylntoun 1622 RMS viii no. 370 [a third; Bruce of Earlshall]
    lie Mylnetoun de Lewcharis 1629 RMS viii no. 1444 [‘with meadows’]
    tertiam partem de Mylnetoun 1637 RMS ix no. 704 [3rd of Milton with whole of 2 mills and the Shillinghaugh; earl of Southesk, barony of Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Miltoune of Leuchars 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Mylnetoune 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [see Shillinghaugh # LEU]
    Leucharsmylnetoune 1665 Retours (Fife) no. 975 [Andrew Bruce of Earlshall, a third of Milton, barony of Leuchars-Bruce]
    Milnetowne 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1273 [Robert Forbes of Rires KCQ]
    (a third of the lands of) Milntoun 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [Charles earl of Southesk, in the barony of Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Milnetoun de Lewchars 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1292 [teinds from Milton]
    Milnetoune 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [James earl of Southesk]
    Mill Town 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Milltown 1785 RHP1684 [also the mill, to north of the mill lade at NO445207]
    Milton 1828 SGF
    Milton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc milntoun

‘Mill-farm or settlement’. In 1785 it formed part of the estate of Leuchars, and included much of the present-day golf course, including Pitlunie Hill (RHP1684). It lies on the east bank of the Motray. For the associated Shillinghaugh, see below s.n.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4