Lucklaw LEU S NO412209 1 352 115m SEF
Lukelaue 1207 St A. Lib. 86 [1 of vills owing teinds of wheat to Leuchars kirk]
Lukelaw 1240 St A. Lib. 164 [1 of vills owing garbal teinds to Leuchars kirk]
(lands of) Luklaw 1399 NAS GD82/9 [to Ramsay of Brackmont LEU]
Luklaw 1516 Fife Ct. Bk. 25
(lands of) Luklaw 1529 RMS iii no. 797 [to William Ramsay and Helen Bruce]
infra terras de Luklaw 1541 RMS iii no. 2458 [see Lillies Muir # LOG]
Loklaw 1542 RMS iii no. 2560 [‘pre terris de Logy et Loklaw’]
Luklaw c.1560 s Assumption, 14
Louklaw 1578 RMS iv no. 2820 [Andrew Murray of Arngask, quarter lands of Airdit, with common pasture, free entry over the common, i.e. ‘the loan’ (lie lone) in lands of Lucklaw and Logie to Lucklawhill (Louklawhill) and Lillies Muir LOG, and also over the lands of Moonzie to  *Seggie Muir]
terris de Luklaw 1602 Retours (Fife) no. 125 [Ramsay of Brackmont, lands of Lucklaw, with the hill (mons) called Lucklawhill and Browndod LEU/LOG, and a rent from the mill of Thomastoun CUP and its lands]
Lucklaw 1645 Retours (Fife) no. 729 [Arthur Forbes, heir of James Forbes portionar of Kilmany, in the lands of Lucklaw and its Hill and Craig called Browndod (Broundod) LEU/LOG]
Lucklau 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [also shows Lucklau Hills LOG]
terris de Lucklaw 1672 Retours (Fife) no. 1116 [Janet Ramsay, lands of Brackmont and Southfield and mills, in barony of Leuchars-Forbes, lands of Lucklaw ‘with their mount and hill’ (cum monte et colle earundem) called Browndod (Browndod) LEU/LOG]
Lucklaw 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Lucklaw F<ar>m 1828 SGF
Lucklaw 1845 NSA ix, 220 [proprietor: George Macgill of Kemback]
Lucklaw 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? Sc leuk + Sc law
?‘Look-out hill; hill with a good view’, which latter is certainly the case. As the local minister comments in the 1790s: ‘From the top of this hill, on a clear day, there is a very extensive prospect of Fife, Angus, the Mearns, and other counties’ (OSA, 616–17). It is one of the earliest Sc place-names in the area (see LEU Intro., Early Scots Names). The original *Luck Law, now Lucklaw Hill LOG, is a conspicuous landmark not only as one of the most easterly of the Ochils, rising steeply to 190 m from the low lands west of Leuchars village, but also because of Balmullo Quarry, the enormous orange-pink felsite quarry on its south side.
Since Lucklaw referred to a settlement as early as 1207, Sc hill was added to distinguish the hill (and important grazing area) from the settlement. It first appears in the record as such in 1529, when the lands of Lucklaw (Luklaw) ‘with the hill called Lucklaw Hill and Browndod’ (cum monte de Luklawhill et Brountod nuncupat.) were given to William Ramsay of Brackmont LEU and Helen Bruce his spouse. In 1541 and 1542 the hill is again mentioned, along with a muir called Lillies Muir # (Lilleismure) LOG, in connection with the common grazing of Airdit LEU, when free entry and exit is granted ‘by the common passage (commonly called the lone) within the lands of Lucklaw and Logie to the hill called Lucklaw Hill and the muir called Lillies Muir, and by the lands of Moonzie (Mill) to Seggie Muir’.
Lucklaw Hill has generated the settlement-name, Lucklawhill LEU (q.v.), north of Balmullo (OS Pathf.), mainly in LEU, but also partly in LOG.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4