Hermitage LEU S NO442228 1 352 10m
Hermitage 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
This may be a jocular or Romantic reference to its relative isolation, on the edge of St Michael’s Wood, perhaps further inspired by the (spuriously) ecclesiastical name St Michaels itself. OS Name Book (44, 23) gives no clue as to the origin of the name, describing it simply as ‘a small cottage north of St Michael’s Inn ... with small vegetable garden attached’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4