Gallow Hill LEU R NO443220 1 352 30m
lands called Galahill of Strathburn 1818 Sasines no. 11924
Galla Hill 1829 RHP1292 [farm]
Gallow Hill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc gallow + Sc hill
‘Hill on which the gallows stood’; this was presumably the place of public execution for the barony of Leuchars. Typical of such places, it lay near an important thoroughfare, in this case the main road from Leuchars to the north-west, which runs past the court-hill called Well Hill # (q.v. below).
On the estate plan of 1829 (RHP1292) it is the name of a farm extending to about 100 acres forming part of the lands of Strathburn and occupying what is now the northern part of St Michaels Golf Course (JMH).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4