Dron

Dron LEU S NO427178 1 35m

    Drun 1207 St A. Lib. 86 [1 of vills owing teinds of wheat to Leuchars kirk]
    Drun 1240 St A. Lib. 164 [1 of vills owing garbal teinds to Leuchars kirk]
    Ester Dron 1451 ER v, 467
    Estir Dronnys 1453 ER v, 533
    Estirdrone 1454 ER v, 682, 684
    Dron 1493 RMS ii no. 2151 [David Wemyss and Eufamia Lundy his wife, ‘Dron and the Hill of Dron’ (Dron et le Hill de Dron), which lands of Dron Lady Janet Stewart resigned, and ‘which lands of the Hill of Dron’ (quas terras de le Hill de Dron) the said John (father of David Wemyss) have resigned]
    le Hill de Dron 1493 RMS ii no. 2151 [see preceding]
    Wester Dron 1511 RMS ii no. 3636 [Wemyss of that ilk, lands in Fife (see Haugh SCO, PNF 2), including Wester Dron and Hill Dron (Hildrone)]
    Hildrone 1511 RMS ii no. 3636 [see preceding]
    Drone 1529 RMS iii no. 770 [James V feus to six portionars ‘the lands of Dron and Cotton, with their mill’ (terras de Drone et Cottoun cum molendino earundem), formerly held by Andrew Wood of Largo]
    (a si th of lands and mill of) Drone 1542 RMS iii no. 2540 [to Alexander Balfour, with free access to ‘the muir of Seggie and *Cottmuir called *Dronsmuir’ (moram de Segy et Coitmure vocat. Dronismure)]
    Done c.1560 s Assumption, 13 [printed D [r]one]
    Dron c.1560 s Assumption, 20
    Drone 1604 Retours (Fife) no. 145 [Thomas Walker, a 6th and an 18th part of lands of Dron, and of mill, ‘with common pasture to Seggie Muir and *Cottmuir called *Dronsmuir’ (cum communi pastura ad moram de Segy et Coitmure vocatam Dronismure)]
    Dronismure 1604 Retours (Fife) no. 145 [see preceding]
    Wester Dron 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 210 [Wemyss]
    Hildron 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 210 [as preceding]
    Drone 1619 Retours (Fife) no. 286 [James Shoner inherits from his brother Alexander Shoner (Schoneir) 2 ninths of toun and lands of Dron and their mill]
    Wester Drone 1629 Retours (Fife) no. 425 [Robert Scott (Scot) in]
    Drone 1629 Retours (Fife) no. 425 [John Scott, son of Robert (see preceding), ‘in the butt or piece of land on west side called Auldhall [278] in territory of Dron; a 9th of mill and mill lands of Dron’ (in lie but terrae ex occidentali latere Auldhall nuncupato infra territorium de Drone; nona parte molendini et terrarum molendinariarum de Dron)]
    Drone 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    Dronmill 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    M<ickle> Dorn 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [for Mickle or Muckle ‘great’]
    L<ittle> Dorn 1655 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Drone 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Drone mill 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Lit<tle> Drone 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Drone 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 866 [Helen and Elizabeth Scheves, heirs of John Scheves of Kemback, inter alia, ‘ane sext part and auchtine part of the toune and lands of Drone and of the mylne, with common pasture in the muire of Sygie (Seggie LEU) and Coatmuire callit Drones-mure’]
    Drones-mure 1657 Retours (Fife) no. 866 [see preceding]
    Drone 1661 Retours (Fife) no. 901 [John Walker, in a 9th of lands of Dron]
    A Plan of Drone Muir 1762 RHP3904 [its division amongst landowners]
    share allotted to Ardit’s Drone 1762 RHP3904 [a division of Drone Muir]
    Little Drone 1762 RHP3904 [a house on southern boundary of Drone Muir]
    Dron Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Mickle Dron 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Little Dron 1775 Ainslie/Fife [apparently at site of OS Pathf. Wester Dron]
    Dron Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife [in DAE, on the Eden]
    the estate of Drone 1790s OSA 601 [‘belonging to Robert Meldrum Esq. of Clayton’]
    N. Dron 1828 SGF
    S. Dron 1828 SGF
    Little Dron 1828 SGF [apparently at site of OS Pathf. Wester Dron]
    Dron Mill 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn [‘corn’, in DAE, on Eden, at NO417166]
    Wester Dron 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    North Dron 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    South Dron 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

G dronn

‘Hump, hump-shaped hill’, dronn cognate with G druim ‘ridge, back’, and similar in meaning (Watson 1926, 422). The feature referred to is the pronounced ridge north of the Eden, through which the main railway line runs in a deep cut.

    This large estate was broken up into separate holdings, which appear on OS Pathf. as North Dron, South Dron and Wester Dron, and include Eden Grove and Edenbank (formerly Hill (of) Dron?), and probably also Clayton. These six divisions probably represent the feuing of the lands of Dron and Cotton to the six portionars in 1529 (RMS iii no. 770). Wester Dron is Little Dron on Ainslie/Fife (1775), while South Dron is Mickle Dron. South Dron supplies the above NGR.

    The Cotton (of Dron), first mentioned in 1529 (RMS iii no. 770), had its own muir or rough grazing area, referred to as *Cottmuir in 1542 (RMS iii no. 2540).

    Dron Mill, which is first mentioned in 1529 (RMS iii no. 770) lay on the west side of the Eden, and within DAE. It was driven by water taken from the tail race of Lydox Mill (Jespersen 1964, 244), which lies 200 m to the south. The site of Dron Mill is called Lydox House on OS 1:10,000 (2007 digital version).

    The name occurs also as that of a settlement and dependent chapel of Abernethy PER, later a parish.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4