Cuplahills

Cuplahills LEU S NO415204 1 352 100m SEF

    Thomas Barclay de <C>uplahillis 1618 Retours (Fife) no. 279 [printed Luplahillis; a quarter of the lands of Airdit LEU]
    lie Cowplawhillis 1620 RMS viii no. 22 [quarter of lands of Airdit called the Cuplahills (quarteriam terrarum de Ardett vocat. lie Cowplawhillis); Douglas]
    Thomas Barclay de Cowplawhillis 1620 RMS viii no. 22
    liberam tenandriam de Cowplawhillis 1620 RMS viii no. 22
    Copelawhills 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Cuplaw Hills 1828 SGF
    Cuplahills 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

en *Cupla + Sc hill

Cupla itself may consist of OSc coup (cowp, cupe etc) ‘cup’ + Sc law ‘hill’, referring to a resemblance to an upturned cup. *Cupla is either (a) the name of one hill or top which has given its name to a group of tops, hence the early addition of Sc hills, earlier hillis; or (b) the name of an old settlement, which has not survived. If (b), then it may be compared with the nearby Lucklaw Hill, although in this case Lucklaw has been retained as the name of the core settlement. As is clear from RMS viii no. 22 (1620), the lands of Cuplahills formed part of the old estate of Airdit.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4