Bruckley LEU S NO436185 1 363 40m
villa de Borkelin 1207 St A. Lib. [1 of vills owing wheat teinds Leuchars kirk]
Burkelin c.1220 Terrier F [held by bishop and his men]
Burkelyn 1240 St A. Lib. 164 [1 of vills owing garbal teinds to Leuchars kirk]
(ford of) Burglyn 1238 x 1250 Balm. Lib. no. 46
Burgliny 1238 x 1250 Balm. Lib. no. 46 [rubric]
(ford of) Burglyn 1238 x 1250 Balm. Lib. no. 47
(Aeldred of) Burchlyn c.1260 Balm. Lib. no. 48
(land of) Burglyn c.1260 Balm. Lib. no. 48
(ford of) Burglyn c.1260 Balm. Lib. no. 48
Burchly 1303 CDS ii no. 1350 [barony of Dairsie; William held Bruckley for an annual rent of 10 s. or service as baker in the bishop’s household]
Burchle 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church lands]
Brwch<l>ie 1589 Retours (Fife) no. 72 [printed Brwchtie; David Meldrum of Seggie (Segy) LEU in half the lands of Bruckley in the regality of St Andrews]
(Agnes Bruce in) Burghlie 1617 St A. Tests. 56 [LEU]
dimidietate villae et terrarum de Brugh<l>ie 1640 Retours (Fife) no. 591 [printed Brughtie; John Geddie, heir of Thomas Geddie citizen of St Andrews, his great-uncle (fratris avi), in an annual rent of 22 merks from ‘half the toun and lands of Bruckley’, in the regality of Fife (sic; an error for ‘of St Andrews’)]
Brucklay 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife [not on Blaeu (Pont) East Fife]
Jacobi Meldrum in Brugh<l>ie 1685 Retours (Fife) no. 1248 [printed Brughtie; see Broad-land # LEU, above]
Brugh<l>ieden 1700 Retours (Fife) no. 1440 [printed Brughtieden; James earl of Southesk; see Seggie LEU]
Broughly 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Broughly 1828 SGF
Brocklay 1845 NSA ix, 219
Bruckly 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? OG bruig + ? – in or ? G linne
OG (MIr) bruig ‘(cultivated) land, holding; farm-house, abode’ may provide the first element. Alternatively it may be connected with OG borg (m.) (a loan-word from medieval Latin) ‘fort, fortified town, city, castle’; used by Óengus (early ninth century) in his Prologue twice, once of Temair (Tara) (FO).
The second element may be G linne ‘pool, linn’ (OG lind), with reference to a feature on the River Eden, which forms its southern march.
However, the loss of the final n in the late thirteenth century suggests rather that the name ended in the locational suffix –in, implying an underlying *burg/kel- or *borg/kel-. If this is the case, then the first element is obscure.
The bishop’s marshal held lands at Bruckley from at least the mid thirteenth century (Balm Lib. 46–7, CDS i no. 1350). And in the late thirteenth century a certain William held Bruckley for an annual rent of 10 s. or service as baker in the bishop’s household (CDS ii no. 1350; see also Ash 1972, 213).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4