Bridgend # LEU S 473241 2 10m
Brigend 1467 RMS ii no. 900 [to Thomas Wemyss of Rires (Reras) KCQ]
Brigende 1473 RMS ii no. 1139
Brigende 1476 RMS ii no. 1245 [‘Tentismuris, Brigende, Quhitcroft’]
le Brigend 1477 RMS ii no. 1304 [to Elizabeth Wemyss]
Brigend c.1560 s Assumption, 14 [‘Brigend and Quhite croft (Whitecroft)’]
Brigend 1562 Retours (Fife) no. 49 [Bridgend and Whitecroft (Quhitcroftis) to Thomas Barclay of Rhynd; in barony of Leuchars-Wemyss]
Brigend 1610 Retours (Fife) no. 218 [Whitecroft and; Robert Forbes of Rires]
Bridgend 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Brigend 1686 Retours (Fife) no. 1273 [Whitecroft and; Forbes of Rires KCQ]
Bridgend 1786 Sasines no. 1447 [‘Brackmouth, Whitecroft, Bridgend’ in barony of Rires KCQ, part of conjoined baronies of Rires and Leuchars Forbes]
Sc brig + Sc end
‘(Settlement) at the end of a bridge’. On Blaeu (Pont) East Fife this is shown as a settlement on the east shore of the extensive body of water called Rash Myre, q.v. However, it is also on the east bank of the Lundin Burn, and it was probably a bridge over this latter feature that gave rise to the name. It appears later in association with Whitecroft, which according to Blaeu (Pont) East Fife lay to the south, and this name appears eventually to supersede it. Both places came to be farmed as part of the Rhynd estate (JMH).
It was one of two places in the parish with this name, the other being at Guardbridge.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4