Streetford

Streetford KLM S NO381179 1 60m

    Streetford 1750s Roy sheet 18, 2
    Streetfield 1775 Ainslie/Fife [building shown on east side of road]
    Streetford 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
    Streetford 1828 SGF
    Streetford 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn

Sc street + Sc fuird

‘Paved ford, ford for a paved road’. See Barrow 1984, 57 for this name and the element street. It was a ford across the Moonzie Burn on the road from Cupar to Kilmany (and onwards to Woodhaven; see Taylor and Henderson 1998, 240–1). In the thirteenth century it is described as a ‘royal road’ (via regia), which goes from Cupar to Port-on-Craig (Tayport FPC) (see CUP and LOG Intros. for more details). A house and garden are marked on OS 6 inch 1st edn, but neither building nor name appear on OS Pathf. It lay east of the road on the north side of the burn, and therefore in KLM. Ainslie/Fife’s Streetfield is probably an error for Streetford, influenced by Stonefield, on the opposite (west) side of the road.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4