Screen # KLM S NO345194 2
Scrine 1684 Adair/East Fife
(tenant in) Skryne 1751 Moonzie Parish Register (Births) [but in KLM]
Scrine 1752 Moonzie parish Register (Births) [in KLM]
Seraind 1753 Roy [for Scraind]
Screen 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Scrym 1818 Sasines no. 11,985 [part of lands of Murdochcairnie KLM, q.v.]
This probably applied to lands whose income went to support a shrine or reliquary (OG scrín), perhaps through supporting a hereditary keeper or dewar. As a place-name it is very rare in Scotland (see below for the only other known Scottish example), but is more common in Ireland, where it seems chiefly to apply to an actual church associated with relics (e.g. Skreen near Tara, Co. Meath and Skreen (Scrín Adomnáin), Co. Sligo. For other examples of Irish place-names deriving from this word, see Hogan 1910, 593).
The fact that this name appears so late in the record, and has no known physical or tenurial links to a church, means that this analysis has to be treated with some caution. It contrasts markedly with the only other known example of this name in Scotland, that of Scryne, Panbride ANG, first mentioned (as Scryn) in 1254, when Arbroath Abbey renounced a money rent they used to receive from that land (Arb. Lib. i no. 366). Scryne ANG is a large and productive land, now divided into the farms of East Scryne and West Scryne, near to the church of Panbride. It may even be that the name has been transferred to KLM from Scryne ANG. If, however, Screen KLM dates from the Gaelic-speaking period, it may have been connected with the support of a reliquary at the kirk of Kilmany, which lay almost 5 km to the north-east. It lay just within the parish boundary, and in 1818 formed part of the lands of Murdochcairnie (Sasines no. 11,985). It now forms part of Newington farm. This was in existence by the mid nineteenth century (see Newington KLM, above), and was formed out of the western part of Murdochcairnie KLM and the eastern part of Colluthie MNZ.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4