Clubston KLM S NO368193 1 362 100m
Clubstoun 1607 x 1611 RMS vii no. 554 [2 portions of west side of toun and lands of Lochmalony called Clubston and *Westbarns; see Lochmalony KLM]
Clubstoun 1608 RMS vi no. 2027 [one of 2 cottages (lie cotagies) in the west part of the toun and lands of Lochmalony, called Clubston and *Westbarns (Westbarneis); see Lochmalony KLM]
Clubstoun 1631 x 1632 RMS viii no. 1910 [see Lochmalony KLM]
Stubston 1775 Ainslie/Fife [very difficult to read]
Clubston 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
E. Clubstone 1828 SGF [= OS Pathf. Clubston]
W. Clubston 1828 SGF
Clubston 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
pn Club + Sc toun
Black states that the surname Club or Clubb is ‘almost exclusively confined to the shire of Aberdeen’, his earliest example dating to 1398. He also gives some seventeenth- and eighteenth-century examples from ANG and STL (1946, 156).
SGF (1828) shows E. Clubstone and W. Clubstone. The former is now OS Pathf. Clubston, while the latter is at NO363193, on the west side of the Rathillet to Hillcairnie road, and east of OS Pathf. Clubston Wood. It is very near a place called Gateside on Ainslie/Fife (1775), ‘(settlement) beside a road’. OS Pathf. Clubston Wood, where almost no woodland is marked, was once a wooded hillside, shown as such on OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) with the name Crow Wood.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4