Bogton

Bogton KLM S NO413243 1 15m

    Bogtoun of Kynneir 1599 St A. Tests. 276 [‘Begis Pringle [243] in Bogtoun of Kynneir parish of Kilmeny’]
    Bogton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    Bogtoune 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife [also shows Bogtoun slightly to the north; it is not clear if this as a dittographic error, or whether these really were two more or less adjacent lands, perhaps in adjacent parishes (KLM and FGN)]
    Bogtoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    Bogtown 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Bogton 1828 SGF
    Bogton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [shows buildings on both sides of FGN/KLM boundary at above NGR, but Bogton seems to refer to the object in KLM]
    Bogton 1904 OS 1 inch 2nd edn

Sc bog + Sc toun

‘Farm in or by a bog’, part of the lands of Kinnear. Note that nearby OS 6 inch 1st revision (1888 × 1914) shows Bogearn in FGN at NO416243. This whole area, which consists of the north-east end of KLM, the north end of LOG and the southern extreme of FGN, has been, historically, boggy low-lying land on either side of the Motray Water. In the 1790s, the Rev. Mr John Cook, minister of Kilmany, noted that much land around the Motray Water lay unused. Though local landowners sought to drain their fields, four mills in the parish along the course of the Motray needed to accumulate a head of water to drive their gear, and this accumulation in mill-ponds made the draining of the adjacent meadows impossible. The minister lamented that the millers would not relinquish (or even sell) their rights in favour of an increase in the usefulness of these lands – which would benefit both their neighbours and themselves. ‘Till this happens,’ he reports, ‘the rich meadows will be overflowed with water, and the country denied the corn which in great abundance they would produce’ (OSA 467–8). By 1845 his successor (and brother), Rev. Henry D. Cook, could report that the Motray had become ‘a large even drain’, and as a result had ‘converted a large tract of marshy ground into rich and productive fields’ (NSA ix, 537). He contrasts this with the western end of the parish, for details of which see Rathillet KLM.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4