Slatemuir

Slatemuir ~ FGN V NO443270 1 35m

    Sklaitmure 1597 RMS vi no. 637 [lands of Inverdovat ‘with common pasture in the north and south commonty of Inverdovat and Slatemuir’ (cum communi pastura in boreali et australi communitate de Inverdovet et Sklaitmure)]
    Sklaitmure 1615 RMS vii no. 1321 [see Baledmond FGN, discussion]
    Skaitmure 1643 Retours (Fife) no. 635 [Alexander Nairn in various lands in the vicinity ‘and in common pasture in the commonty of Inverdovat and Slatemuir’ (et communi pastura in communia de Inverdovat et Skaitmure)]
    Sklaitmuire 1656 Retours (Fife) no. 859 [commonty of Inverdovat and Slatemuir, in the barony of Inverdovat]
    Sklaitmuire 1670 Retours (Fife) no. 1070 [Alexander Nairn etc. ‘in common pasture on the north and south sides of the commonty of Inverdovat and Slatemuir’ (communi pastura super boreali et australi partibus communitatis de Innerdovat et Sklaitmuire)]
    Sclatemuir 1792 Sasines no. 3312 [‘commonty of Inverdivot and Sclatemuir’]
    Slatemuir Wood c.1810 x 1834 Tayfield Plan P43 [see discussion]

Sc slate + Sc muir

‘Muir with (significant amounts of) slate in the ground’. Closely associated with Inverdovat, the name originally referred to a piece of muir or rough grazing. However, it is unclear whether or not, by the time of its earliest forms, it is attached to a settlement. By the early nineteenth-century the name attaches to a small wood on the ‘Farm of Causewayhead’, which supplies the above NGR. On a modern estate map of Tayfield the name Slate Muir refers to the strip of trees running north-west from (and including) earlier Slatemuir Wood.[236]

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4