Roseberry FGN S NO436268 1 65m
Roosebery 1753 Roy
Rosebury 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Rossberry 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Roseberry 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [also shows Roseberry Hill]
This may be transferred from Rosebery, Temple MLO, better known as the title ‘earl of Rosebery’, created in the Peerage of Scotland in 1703 for Archibald Primrose, 1st Viscount of Rosebery (a title created in 1700), along with other titles, including Viscount of Inverkeithing. The Primroses were based at Dalmeny House WLO, and a direct link with north-east Fife remains to be identified.
Roseberry is described by OS Name Book (32, 62) as follows: ‘A dwelling house with some farm offices, and a small farm attached, the houses are thatched and in bad repair; it is the property of Henry Stewart Esq., St Fort, and tenanted by John Black’. The ruins of this house are still standing.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4