Priorinch

Priorinch # FGN S NO439260 1 15m

    Priorfield 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    Priorinch 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
    Priorinch 1948 x 1977 OS 6 inch 1st Imperial edn

SSE or Sc prior + SSE or Sc inch or SSE or Sc field

‘Field or haugh (inch or low-lying land by water) associated with or belonging to a prior or priory’. This may well represent the three acres of land east of Friarton given to St Andrews Priory by Richard de Lascelles in the second quarter of the thirteenth century (St A. Lib. 274); see FGN Intro., Medieval Forgan, for details.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4