Newport-on-tay

Newport-on-tay FGN S NO4127 1 352

    Newport Dundee 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Newport 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
    Newport 1828 SGF
    Newport 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
    Easter Newport 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [NO423281, south of Gowrie Hill]

SSE new + SSE port

‘In 1713 the Guildry of Dundee resolved to take steps to establish a regular ferry from Dundee direct to Fife. Since Woodhaven ferry was not direct enough, they developed Seamills. This became New Dundee, then Newport Dundee [its name on Ainslie/Fife], and latterly Newport’ (Neish 1890, 12–13; see also Silver 1987, 123). Newport was created a burgh by act of Parliament in 1822, as the southern terminus of the Tay Ferry (ibid. 13). A new parish kirk was built in Newport in 1841 and Forgan Auld Kirk was dismantled (ibid. 69). See also Tayfield FGN.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4