Morton

Morton FGN LEU S NO465259 1 352 10m

    (land and vill of) Mourtune c.1300 NAS Cal. of Chrs. vol. i no. 69 [William de Ferrars laird of Leuchars; in tenement of Craigie LEU, q.v.]
    Murtoune 1450 RMS ii no. 405 [James Barclay of Kippo KBS feus to Master Thomas Ramsay canon of Dunkeld Morton in parish of Leuchars (Lucheris)]
    Muretone-in-Luchris 1452 x 1480 RMS ii no. 1444 [St Andrews Church lands]
    (quarter of) le Muretoun de Tentismure 1508 RMS ii no. 3178 [part of barony of Kippo KBS, incorporated into barony of Arngask (Ancorsk) PER, FIF]
    Murtoun in Tentismuris 1529 RMS iii no. 760 [to William Scott of Balwearie]
    (quarter of) Muretoun 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [and of the marsh called Inchgray; part of Leuchars-Ramsay; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies]
    Muirtoun 1562 Assumption, 14 [in LEU; leased for 4 boll bere & 6 bolls meal]
    (quarter of lands of) Muretoun 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Soutlandes de Mortoun 1635 RMS ix no. 307 col. 5 [‘lege fourth landes’ added, so referring to the quarters of Morton; see also Broad-land # LEU]
    Morton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
    Mortoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
    (quarter of) Muretoun 1658 Retours (Fife) no. 882 [James earl of Southesk]
    Mortoun de Tentismoores 1668 Retours (Fife) no. 1040
    Moortown 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also Moortown Hall to south-west, both in FGN]
    Morton 1828 SGF
    Mouton 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [sic; also Morton Links; at Morton (Mouton) the map marks ‘Burial Ground (Hay Family)’]

Sc muir + Sc toun

‘Muir farm, farm made on the muir or rough grazing’. It is clear from the above that the settlement and lands known as Morton lay in LEU until after the Reformation, when it must have been transferred to FGN. It was associated with the marsh called Inchgray #, which is discussed below as a separate head-name in LEU. OS Pathf. also shows Morton Lochs and Morton Links.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4