Kirkton FGN S NO446260 1 15m
Kirktoun of Forgoun c.1560 s Assumption, 18 [set in feu to David Balfour]
apud Kirktoun 1573 x 1574 RMS iv no. 2266
apud Kirktoun 1594 Laing Chrs. no. 1278 [David Balfour charter dated here]
Kirkton 1642 Gordon MS Fife
Kirktoun 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Kirktoune 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
David Schipherd Labourer in Kirktoun Barnes 1660 NAS CC 20/4/12 p. 20
de terris de Kirktoune 1698 Retours (Fife) no. 1414 [Anna and Sara Mercer (Mercers), daughters of George Mercer one-time merchant in London, rent ‘from the lands of Kirkton in the parish Forgan’ (in parochia de Forgan)]
Kirktown Barns 1775 Ainslie/Fife [also shows Kirkbank]
Kirkton House 1828 SGF
Kirkton House 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [shown as an antiquity]
‘Farm or village at the kirk’, of Forgan. In 1560 David Balfour of Baledmond # FGN feued from the Priory of St Andrews ‘the kirklands of Forgan’ (terras ecclesiasticas de Forgund) with their teinds (confirmed by royal charter 1577 RMS iv no. 2709). He then erected the house known as Kirkton House, now a ruin, just to the north-east of the old parish kirk. A fireplace was removed from it at some time and was built into the gable of a barn at Kirkton Barns farm nearby. This has the Balfour arms as well as those of David Balfour’s spouse, Katherine Crichton, and the date 1585 (RCAHMS Fife no. 267).
OS Pathf. shows Kirkton House as an Antiquity (see NMRS NO42NW 19 for description). It also shows Kirkton Barns FGN, q.v. below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4