Chesterhill FGN S NO438276 1 352 95m SEF
Chesterhill 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [now OS Pathf. Washer Willy’s; also shows Chester Hill; see discussion]
Cliff Terrace 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [now OS Pathf. Chesterhill]
Cliff 1948 x 1977 OS 6 inch 1st Imperial edn
Chesterhill 1943 x 1995 OS 1:2,500 National Survey
en Chester Hill
The eponymous Chester Hill contains Sc chester ‘(ancient) fortification (perceived or real)’ + Sc hill, and applies to the hill on which this settlement stood: the hill is named as such on both OS 6 inch 1st edn and OS Pathf. (NO440275). Nothing resembling a chester is evident in the vicinity (NMRS). OS Name Book (32, 74) describes Chester Hill as follows: ‘A small hill on the farm of Causewayhead, its surface consists of rocky pasture and furze, and on top of it is a small dwelling house called Chesterhill’. This house, at NO440276, is now called Washer Willy’s (OS Pathf. and OS Explorer), q.v., below.
Today Chesterhill refers to the big house a few hundred metres to the north-west of Washer Willy’s, at NO438276. This house was formerly called Cliff Terrace. It stood on a piece of land called Justfield Feu, appearing as Justfield on SGF(1828) and as Justfield Feu on Tayfield Plan P42 (1844), a separate land-holding within the lands of Causewayhead. This takes its name from the Just family who lived here in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, as can be seen from a grave in the kirkyard of Forgan Old Kirk recording the death in 1821 at the age of 80 of Thomas Just of Justfield.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4