Camcase FLK S NO280209 1 351 5m NOF
Camkeisk mill 1590 x 1599 Pont MS 54B [or perhaps Camkeiss’]
Cumcase Mill 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Camcase 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [marked beside a ‘ford’ across the burn]
? G cam + ?? G gasg
The first element, G cam ‘crooked, bent’, or its Pictish cognate, is found in other Fife place-names such as Kemback and Cameron. If any weight can be put on one reading of the earliest form ( 1590s ), the second element may be G gasg ‘ridge, tail of land’, found in several east Fife place-names, such as Cassindilly CER and Kingask SSL (see Elements Glossary PNF 5, s.v., for more examples). However, there is no obvious gasg-like feature here. Alternatively the second element may be G cas ‘foot, leg’, perhaps referring to the course taken by the burn near its mouth.
It would appear to be Bambreich mill on Gordon MS Fife ( 1642 ), while on Adair/Sea-Coast (Tay) (1703) it may be Betts Mill. NMRS describes the building now as a ‘fishing lodge’, a single-storey cottage (NO22SE 36). It is, however, more like a barn or byre than a cottage, with a wide-arched doorway on the south, and hardly any windows. Three buildings are shown at Camcase on OS 6 inch 1st edn, but only two are described in the OS Name Book (39, 3), neither of them the surviving building: ‘Two cottages, two stories high, and in good repair, with gardens attached. Occupied by fishermen. The property of Lord Zetland’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4