Craiglaw Demesne c.1810 x 1834 Tayfield Plan P43
Craiglaw Cotton c.1810 x 1834 Tayfield Plan P43 [shown at NO442277]
Craig Law 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc craig + Sc law
The western side of this hill is formed partly of rocky outcrops or crags (Sc craig). It lies on the lands of Scotscraig, immediately west of the site of the castle, later mansion house, and is probably the eponymous craig in Scotscraig.
OS 6 inch 1st edn (1855) shows Bishop Sharp’s Quarry and Hermit’s Cave on the western slope of Craig Law, overlooking Scotscraig Burn. Of Hermit’s Cave OS Name Book (32, 14) states: ‘It is about six feet above the base of the rock. It is about seven feet high, eight feet long, and about four wide. It is supposed to have been inhabited at some period by a hermit’.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4