Chapeltoun 1593 RMS v no. 2273 [part of lordship and barony of Scotscraig, held by archbishop of St Andrews]
terras de Chepeltoun 1597 RMS vi no. 523 [‘lands of Chapelton with the chapel of St John’ (cum lie chapell de Sanct-Jhone)]
terris de Chappeltoun cum capella 1622 RMS viii no. 337 [‘lands of Chapelton with (its) chapel’, in the lordship of Scotscraig (Scottiscraig) and the regality of St Andrews; to George Ramsay of Dalhousie, for a rent of 10 s.]
Chappeltoun 1652 Retours (Fife) no. 799 [John Erskine (Erskein) of Scotscraig, ‘the lands of Chappeltoun, within the lor<d>ship of Scotiscraig’]
Sc chapel + Sc toun
‘Farm on lands attached to a chapel.’ The eponymous chapel lay on the lands of Scotscraig FPC and probably served the parishioners as a chapel of ease in this northern corner of the medieval parish of Leuchars until the creation of the separate parish of Ferry-Port-on-Craig and the building of a parish kirk on a different site in 1606. The chapel was dedicated to St John, and probably lay near Arnoldsland, at NO4543 2784, in a field referred to in the 1790s as ‘the Chapel’ (OSA, 365; see FPC Intro., above, for more details).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4