Gadvan DBG S NO285180 2 70m
loc<us> de Gaduane 1530 RMS iii no. 898 [Andrew Gagie (Gagye), master of ‘the place of Gadvan’; see Johnston DBG]
Guddein 1603 RMS vi no. 1411 [in barony of Pitgorno SLO, q.v.]
(lands of) Gadven 1603 RMS vi no. 1492 [‘with the mansion and meadow’ (cum mansione et prato), all once held by Balmerino Abbey, except for its (Gadvan’s) chapel, to James Beaton of Creich; see Carpow Lea DBG for details]
loc<us> de Gadven 1603 RMS vi no. 1492 [Johnston DBG, formerly held by Balmerino and preceptors of ‘the place of Gadvan’, annexed to said monastery]
terris de Gadvan 1628 Retours (Fife) no. 400 [David Beaton, in Creich barony]
ad preceptoriam seu ministerium de Gaduane 1630 RMS viii no. 1543 [3rd of lands of Easter Colzie NBH formerly belonging ‘to the preceptory or manse of Gadvan annexed to the abbey of Balmerino’ (abbatie de Balmirrinoch annexat.)]
loc<us> de Gadwane 1630 RMS viii no. 1543 [‘the place of Gadvan’]
Gadvan 1692 Retours (Fife) no. 1332 [Alex. Bannerman, in Dunbog barony]
Gadvan c.1789 Balm. Lib. App. X, p. 74 [see discussion, below]
Gadven 1814 NAS CH2/82/20/206 [‘the lands of Gadven and St Bridgets being Church Lands’; see DBG Intro., Dedication]
preceptory of Gadvan 1845 NSA ix, 210 [see discussion, below]
Preceptory of Gadvan 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn [Dunbog House is marked as ‘on site of Preceptory Gadvan’ in Gothic script; beside ‘Church (remains of)’]
If this is a name of G origin, then the first element may be G gad ‘withe, withy, osier’, referring to young willows grown for basket-making etc., suggested also as the first element in Gaddon CLS, and more certainly found as the specific element in Kilmagad (Wood), Portmoak KNR (in which the first element is G coille). Another possible derivation for the first element is G gead ‘strip or spot of arable land’ (found for example in Balgeddie LSL, PNF 2), but the absence of forms in Ged- make this unlikely. The second element remains unexplained.
The reference of c.1789 above is to a letter written by Andrew Hutton, the minister of Balmerino, who wrote of Gadvan: ‘I went to Dunbog and found that the place (where the mansion-house, the property of Sir Thomas Dundas) was formerly called Gadvan, a preceptory of Balmerino Abbey, wherein four monks did statedly reside.’
The mid-nineteenth-century local minister writes ‘the preceptory of Gadvan tenanted in general by two or three of the brotherhood, whose chief occupation we presume to have been the culture of some 24 acres of ground attached to their cell. A small portion of this land is comprehended in the glebe – but it is principally laid out in the garden and enclosures of Dunbog’ (NSA ix, 210).
Julie Kerr, in a recent discussion of Gadvan (2008, 43–4), suggests that it ‘may have functioned as an annex to the abbey [of Balmerino] or perhaps served as an administrative centre to manage the monastery’s lands in the Dunbog area and in Strathmiglo’ (ibid. 44, footnote 30).
Several early forms of Gaddon CLS (see above) are identical.
The NGR given is that of Dunbog, beside which the ‘Preceptory of Gadvan’ is shown on OS 6 inch (1855).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4