(lands of) Clwno 1441 Pitfirrane Writs no. 30
Clune 1466 RMS ii no. 881 [‘terras de Pettincreif (Pittencreiff DFL), Galowrig (Gallowridge DFL), et Clune’ confirmed to John Wemys son and heir of Thomas Wemys of Rires (Reras) KCQ]
Clune 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 86
Clune 1538 RMS iii no. 1838
Clune 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Clunie 1663 RMS xi no. 406 [‘the lands of Gallorig and Clunie in the barony of Pittencreiffe’]
The Clune 1753 Roy sheet 17, 5
Clunie 1775 Ainslie/Fife
E<aste>r Clune 1828 SGF
W<este>r Clune 1828 SGF
Balclune 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Easter Clune 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
Balclune 1897 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.
Easter Clune 1897 OS 1 inch 2nd edn.
Easter Clune 1957 OS 7th Series [Gowkhall and Easter Clune]
? G claon or G cluan
‘Slope, brae’ (claon) is a more likely derivation than cluan ‘meadow’, given the position of the lands of Clune along a relatively steep south-facing slope. It may more specifically refer to brae of the old road which climbs from Gowkhall north-east towards Easter Clune. Wester Clune, now gone, lay on this old road at NT058892, according to SGF (1828), while Gowkhall is shown on the same map as being at the foot of the brae, where the village of that name stands today.
The name Balclune appears to be a late conceit for the village that grew up on the lands of Wester Clune. Webster refers to ‘Gowkhall or Balclune as it is sometimes called’ (1938, 350).
The name Wester Clune is still commemorated on OS Pathf. in the name ‘Wester Clune Plantation’, north-east of Gowkhall. The above NGR is of present-day Easter Clune.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 1