Waulkmill Of Dairsie

Waulkmill Of Dairsie * DAE S NO 400150

    Walkmylne c.1560 s Assumption, 10 [see New Mills DAE]
    Walkmyll of Dersy c.1560 s Assumption, 18 [see New Mills DAE]
    Walkmylne alias Stankhill 1569 x 1581 RMS v no. 108 [see Stankhill # DAE]
    the Valkmylne 1596 Retours (Fife) no. 1523 [see Stankhill # DAE]
    molendinum fullonum de Dairsay 1611 RMS vii no. 464 [formerly belonging to St Andrews Priory, now their garbal teinds are granted to the duke of Lennox]
    molendino fullonum de Dairsie vocat Walkmylne alias Stankhill 1647 RMS ix no. 1837 [‘waulkmill of Dairsie called Waulkmill alias Stankhill’, with lands adjacent to it extending to 8 acres; a life rent to George Morrison of Dairsie, knight, and to his son John and his heirs]
    molendino fullonio de Dairsie 1691 Retours (Fife) no. 1311 [‘the waulk mill of Dairsie, otherwise called Stankhill’ (alias vocato Stankhill)]

Sc waulk + Sc miln + en Dairsie

‘Waulk mill of Dairsie’, its alternative name was Stankhill, q.v. It probably lay near New Mills DAE, q.v.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4