Duffcupar * DAE S NO399151 2
de Duf Cupir 1189 x 1198 St A. Lib. 45 [rubric]
terram de Duf Cup<e>r 1189 x 1198 St A. Lib. 45 [Bp-elect Roger gives to St Andrews Priory land of *Duffcupar, with its mill, in exchange for land of Dairsie, q.v., which Elias (Helias) held of the priory]
Dufcupre c.1220 Terrier F [held by bishop and his men]
terra de Dufcupir 1301 St A. Lib. 120 [church of Dairsie with ‘the land of’]
Duff-Cowpir 1471 RMS ii no. 1039 [St Andrews Church land: land of New Mill with mills, viz Newmill DAE and *Duffcupar]
? pn Dub + en Cupar or ? G dubh + en Cupar
‘The part of the lands of Cupar originally held by a man called Dub (Duff)’ or ‘Black Cupar’, used to distinguish this part of the lands of Cupar from one or more other parts. If a personal name is involved, it may well be that of King Dub 962–966, the probable Dub from whom the Macduff earls of Fife claimed descent (see Bannerman 1993).
Geoffrey Barrow (pers. comm.) suggests that the mill of Duffcupar later became the New and Old Mills of Cupar (NO400150). If so, then Duffcupar is in DAE not CUP, suggested also by the fact that it is listed in the Terrier amongst the bishop’s lands. From the Terrier it might seem that Bishop-elect Roger’s exchange of land was ineffective, and the bishop kept control of Duffcupar, an impression further reinforced by the fact that in various papal, episcopal and royal confirmations of Priory lands Bp Arnold’s original gift is automatically repeated, without any mention of Duffcupar. That the exchange did in fact take effect does not become clear until 1301, when Bp William Lamberton gave to St Andrews Priory more rights in the church of Dairsie, along with the land specifically named as Duffcupar (St A. Lib. 120).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4