Chapelwell DAE S NO101157 1 363 35m SOF
Chapel Well 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Chapelwell 1828 SGF
Chapelwell 1832 RHP4397
Chapelwell 1845 NSA ix, 771 [Chapelwell and Dairsie, owned by Judge Erskine, acquired by his marriage to Miss Traill, daughter of former proprietor]
Chapelwell 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Sc chapel + Sc well
‘Well near or belonging to a chapel’. This may be associated with the chapel of St Leonard situated near Dairsie (see p. 322, above), but NMRS reports nothing in the area that might be interpreted as a chapel. On OS 6 inch map 1st edn there is a well marked against the back wall of the garden of the house of Chapelwell.
Chapelwell lay very near one of the pilgrim routes from the north-west to St Andrews (by-passing Cupar), for details of which see MNZ Intro., below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4