Porterland # CUP S NO3815 2
le Portarland 1418 NLS Adv. MS 34.6.24, pp. 440–1 [see Pittencrieff CUP]
Porterlandis de Cupro 1497 RMS ii no. 2360 [see discussion, below]
Porterland 1497 RMS ii no. 2360 [see discussion, below]
? le Porterfeild 1532 RMS iii no. 1190 [probably the same place]
tertiam partem de Porterland 1555 RMS iv no. 1006 [‘a third’]
(a third of lands of) Porterlands 1557 Retours (Fife) no. 31 [Alexander Carruthers (Car<u>ders, printed Carnders)]
lie Portarland 1566 RSS v no. 2738 [marches with Pittencrieff CUP, q.v.]
tertiam partem terrarum nuncupat. the Portarland 1580 RMS iv no. 3003 [to James Carruthers, burgess of Cupar]
Porterland 1595 RMS vi no. 338 [marches with Pittencrieff CUP]
tertia parte terrarum de Portarlandis 1618 Retours (Fife) no. 278 [a third of the lands of Porterlands, viz Muirbrecks # and the *Haughs, at the mill of Cupar]
Portourlandis 1622 RMS viii no. 301
Sc porter + Sc land
‘Janitor’s or door-keeper’s land’. The janitor was the door-keeper or porter of Cupar castle. From the 1497-description Porterland seems to have been in and around Middlefield Farm NO38 15. It belongs to the same category of name as Constable Meadow, which went with the office of constable of the castle (1528 RMS iii no. 549).
The most detailed description of the Porterland of Cupar is from a charter of 1497 by which David Scrymgeour (Skrimgeour) of Ferdill, with the consent of his wife Alice Fern, grants to his son and heir Alexander Scrymgeour (Skrymgeour) various lands in Ceres and Cupar, including land beside the Moat Hill CUP (q.v.), land on *Earlsmuir CUP (q.v.), and ‘a third of the lands called Porterlands of Cupar, with their pertinents, viz the *Mill Hill and the Haughs beside the mill of Cupar, the Muirbrecks # CUP, Arnold’s Comb CUP, with the acres called Porterland lying between the lands of Pittencrieff CUP and Thomastoun CUP, with the office of janitor of the castle of Cupar belonging to the said lands’ (tertiam partem terrarum vocat. Porterlandis [sic] de Cupro cum pertinen., viz le Mylnhill, et le Halchis juxta molendinum de Cupro, le Murebrekkis, Arnadiskame, cum acris vocat<is> Porterland, jacen. inter terras de Pettyncreif et Thomastoun, cum officio janitoris castri de Cupro dictis terris pertinen.) (RMS ii no. 2360).
On Pittencrieff Plan (1786) Porter Field is shown at NO374148, bounded on the east by ‘Road from Cupar to Woodhaven’, now known as Bishopgate. This is mentioned as the (le) Porterfield ‘beside the burgh of Cupar’ (prope burgum de Cupro) in 1532 RMS iii no. 1190; and is probably the (le) Port Feild mentioned along with the Castle Field (le Castell Feild), both beside the burgh of Cupar, in 1516 (Fife Ct. Bk. 50).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4