Pitbladdo CUP S NO363172 1 90m NOF
(Margaret of) Petblathouch c.1353 SAUL MS 37490, no. 3 [‘lady of that ilk’ (domina eiusdem); see Kilmaron CUP, discussion]
(land of) Petblathouch c.1353 SAUL MS 37490, no. 3
Jacob<us> Petblatho de eodem 1466 Dunf. Reg. no. 458 [‘of that ilk’]
Pitblatho 1470 SAUL MS 37490 no. 8 [John Pitbladdo (Pitblatho) seised in the free tenement of Pitbladdo, following resignation of his father, James]
(lordship of) Petblado 1495 RMS ii no. 2242
Petrus Blatho de eodem 1506 Dunf. Reg. no. 499 [‘Peter Bladdo of that ilk’]
Petblado 1517 RMS iii no. 135
Pitblatho 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 103 [David Pitbladdo (Pitblatho) enters John Webster as suitor of court for his lands of Pitbladdo]
Petir Petblatho of that ilk 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 163
Petblatho 1519 Fife Ct. Bk. 164
in dominio de Petblatho 1524 x 1538 RMS iii no. 1781 [David Pitbladdo (Petblatho) to David Lindsay and Janet Douglas half lands of The Mount MML ‘in the lordship of Pitbladdo’]
in villa de Petblathow 1533 RSS ii no. 1510 [to Master John Spens of *Mairston (Maristoun) CRA all the chaplain’s 4 arable acres called the *Maryfauld (lie Maryfauld) with its individual pertinents, which acres are annexed and belonging to the said church and chapel (of the Blessed Christopher), lying ‘in the toun of Pitbladdo’; see CUP Intro., Medieval Church]
Petblad c.1560 s Assumption, 14
in dominio de Pitbladdo 1586 RMS v no. 1082 [The Mount MML]
(in the lordship of) Pitblado 1602 Retours (Fife) no. 124 [Robert Hay of Foodie (Fudie) DAE, ‘in the lands of Southbanklands, the northern part of Pitbladdo on the east, in the lordship of Pitbladdo’ (in terris de Southbanklandis, et terrarum parte boreali de Pitblado ex orientali, in dominio de Pitblado)]
in tertia parte terrarum borealis partis de Pitblado 1605 Retours (Fife) no. 150 [William Scott, Cupar minister, ‘in 3rd of lands of north part of Pitbladdo’]
Pitblado 1616 Retours (Fife) no. 256 [barony of Pitbladdo; see Kilmaron]
Pitblado 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Pittblado 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Hiltoun of Pitb. 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Pitblado 1656 Retours (Fife) no. 860 [Robert Barclay of Collairnie (Cullerny) DBG, the lands of Pitbladdo, Hilton and *Boghall (Boughall)]
Pitblado 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Pitbladdo 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
G pett + G blàth + G – ach or Pictish * pett + Pictish * blad + suffix
Probably ‘meal-farm or meal-holding’; while Modern G blàth means ‘blossom, bloom, flower’, it would seem also to have meant ‘meal, flour’, as does its cognate in Welsh blawd ‘meal’, and it is almost certainly in this sense that it is used in this name, as well as in Blebo KMB (PNF 2); see also PNF 5, Elements Glossary, under blàth, and Watson 1926, 411.
The name suggests an early link with milling, although it is not now clear where the original mill of Pitbladdo may have lain.
Petrus Blatho de eodem (‘of that ilk’ 1506, Dunf. Reg. no. 499) is likely to be an error of elision caused by the first syllable of Petrus. This man’s name appears correctly, as ‘Petir Petblatho of that ilk’, in 1519 (Fife Ct. Bk. 163).
The lands of Pitbladdo formerly comprised those of Hilton and Cairney Lodge, q.v. (formerly Hiltonhill). There seems to have been another division, which appears in 1656 as Boghall (Boughall) (Retours (Fife) no. 860).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4