Owlet Wood CUP V NO386133 1 362 100m NOF
Owlet Wood 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision
Sc howlet + SSE wood
‘Owl wood, wood frequented by owls’, with Sc howlet ‘owl’ partly Englished by dropping the initial h. In the 1790s it is stated that ‘the highest eminence of the Garlie Bank (was) a spot known by the name of the Howlet, or Owl Hill’ (OSA, 221). While Garlie Bank (CER, TVX PNF 2) and Owlet Wood are both on the slopes of the Hill of Tarvit, and both at around the 100 m contour, they are about 2 km apart, perhaps suggesting that Garlie Bank referred to a more extensive stretch of the northern slope of the Hill of Tarvit than it later came to designate.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4