Kirklands CUP S NO368151 1 35m
terra eiusdem ecclesie 1163 x 1178 St A. Lib. 137 [granted to St A. Priory]
terra ecclesiastica de Coupir 1430 St A. Cop. no. 23
Kirkland of Cowper c.1560 s Assumption, 18 [set in feu to John Spens]
Kirklandis de Couper 1623 Retours (Fife) no. 364 [
Kirklands East 1824 Springfield Plan 2
Kirklands West 1824 Springfield Plan 2
‘Church-land, a glebe’. This is the land lying immediately south of the old parish kirk of Cupar. The modern housing development on these lands, at the above NGR, is now called Kirklands.
The grant of Bp Richard (1163–78) concerns the kirk of Cupar, which is granted to the canons of St Andrews, but it reserves to the bishop the episcopal right and his render (rent) from the kirklands of that kirk (see CUP Intro., The Medieval Church, above).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4