The Haughs

The Haughs *~ CUP S NO372137 2

    lie Halchis 1497 RMS ii no. 2360 [next to Cupar mill; see Porterland # CUP]
    le Hauch 1532 RMS iii no. 1190 [‘two acres west of the waulkmill of the burgh of Cupar called *the Haugh’ (2 acras ex parte occidentali molendini fullonum burgi de Cupro vocat<as> le Hauch)]
    Hauch 1557 Retours (Fife) no. 31 [Alexander Carruthers (Caruders, printed Carnders), half an acre of land in Hauch ‘near the waulkmill’ (prope molendinum fullonum)]
    lie Hauch 1601 Retours (Fife) no. 92 [Nicholas Baxter, 1 acre of land in]
    lie Hauch 1608 RMS vi no. 2157
    les hauchis 1618 Retours (Fif) no. 278 [printed Leshauchis; ‘Mill Hill and the Haughs at Cupar Mill’ (Mylnehill et les Hauchis, apud molendinum de Cupro)]
    leis Hauchis 1622 RMS viii no. 301 [printed Leishauchis; part of Porterland]
    terris de Hauch 1663 Retours (Fife) no. 938

Sc haugh

‘Water-meadows, haughs’. The name refers to the water-meadows lying between the Eden and the mill-lade to the south-west of the burgh, roughly centred on the above NGR. An area still liable to flooding, it is crossed by the railway on an embankment. Today it is known as Cupar Mills (see for example OS Pathf.). It is closely associated with *Mill Hill CUP, q.v.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4