Foxton

Foxton CUP S NO392163 1 362 95m SEF

    de terra de Folkeston’ 1294 PRO E101/331/1 B [40 s. rent; PNF 5, App. 2]
    de terris de Folkstoun 1429 x 1430 RMS ii no. 151 [George Ramsay laird of Foxton (Folkstoun) grants to John Cooper (Couper) burgess of Cupar (de Cupro), and his heirs, 40 s. annual rent ‘from the lands of Foxton’]
    Fo toune 1478 RMS ii no. 1394 [George Ramsay and Catherine Merche]
    terris de Fo toune cum pertinenciis 1517 Fife. Ct. Bk. 87 [Ramsay of Foxton]
    Fo toun 1517 Fife Ct. Bk. 396 [17th c. copy]
    Francisk Ramsay of Fo toune 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 122
    dimedietatem terrarum ville de Fo stoun 1538 x 1539 RMS iii no. 1905 [Francis Ramsay of Foxton (Foxstoun) sells to William Fernie (Farny), son of Andrew Fernie of that ilk and Barbara Logan (Logane) ‘half of the lands of the toun of Foxton and of its apple orchard, except for two roods <= half an acre> of lands (et pomerii ejusdem exceptis 2 rodis terrarum)]
    (third of half the lands of) Fo toun 1545 Retours (Fife) no. 5 [Ramsay]
    Fo toun c.1560s Assumption, 14
    terris de Fo toun 1624 Retours (Fife) no. 346 [David Wemyss (Weymis)]
    Fookstoun 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Fo town 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Fo ton 1828 SGF
    Fo ton 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn

pn Fulk + Sc toun

‘Fulk’s farm’. Fulk was a name of Continental Germanic origin and by the twelfth century, when it starts to appear sporadically in the Scottish record (for which see Black 1946 s.n.), it can be considered to be a French or Norman name. The eponymous Fulk may have been given these lands in the late twelfth century, around the same time that Thomas of Cupar was given the neighbouring lands which became known as Thomastoun CUP (q.v.).

    For the creation of Ferniehall from the lands of Foxton in the sixteenth century, see under Ferniehall CUP, above.

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4