Drumdryan Quarry CUP O NO384132 1 100m
Drumdryan Quarry 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn.
en Drumdryan + SSE quarry
This name is probably connected with Drumdryan, the name of lands at Tollcross in Edinburgh, whence Drumdryan Street, near the King’s Theatre. The Home Rigg family of Tarvit, on or near the lands on which Drumdryan Quarry lies, acquired the lands of Drumdryan in Edinburgh in 1788. This gave rise to the street-names Tarvit Street (adjacent to Drumdryan Street) and Home Street in Tollcross, and it is likely, therefore, that the name Drumdryan was transferred to Fife at this time. It may be that the Drumdryan Quarry supplied stone for the Home Rigg family’s building projects on their Drumdryan lands in Edinburgh (see Harris 2002 under Tarvit Street). It is also the origin of the modern Cupar street-name Drumdryan Place (NO375134) 900 m west of the quarry.
OS Name Book (58, 10) records Drumdryan Quarry as a sandstone quarry ‘in disuse’ (1853), property of B. Wemyss of Wemyss Hall and in the middle of a wood. It is still shown as ‘disused’ on OS 1:10,000 (2007, digital version).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4