Crossgate CUP O NO375146 1
vic<us> Crucis 1505 x 1506 RMS ii no. 2948 [mentioned several times]
High Street 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Cross Gate 1820 Wood/Cupar
Sc cross + Sc gate
‘Street of, or where there stands, the cross’. The eponymous mercat cross still stands at the north end of Crossgate, marked on OS Pathf. at the NGR given above, where the street broadens out to provide a market-place.
The cross appears occasionally in the records as a place of proclamation: in 1520, Thomas Grundiston (Grundistoun), sheriff depute, ‘passit to the mercat croce of the burgh of Couper and thar ... denuncyt James Baxster in Kingorne [Kinghorn] the kingis Rebell & put him to his horne ...’ (Fife Ct. Bk. 179; see also ibid. 190, 215, 245, 275, 279, 280, 282).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4