Bellbrae 1856 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? + Sc or SSE brae
The eponymous brae or slope probably refers to the gradual rising of the main road leading south-west from Cupar towards Pitlessie and the New Inn. Bell may be the name of an occupant of the small farm here. However, in the late eighteenth century there was a well-known inn called the Blue Bell, on the corner of Crossgate and South Bridge (Martin 2006, 137), where the road from the south-west enters the burgh, and this may have given its name, in abbreviated form, to this final stretch of road leading into Cupar. OS Name Book describes it as: ‘A small farm house one storey high with offices all in good repair ... The house is at present unoccupied. The property of Thomas Galloway, Farmer, Cupar’ (56, 26).
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4