Skelmervie CRC S NO330197 1
Skilmervie 1788 Sasines no. 1899 [‘tenements in and about Luthrie, parts of the shades called Stale Dales and Skilmervie’ CRC]
Skelmervie House 1888 x 1914 OS 6 inch 1st revision [shown c.120 m south of Luthrie Bank; also thus on 2nd revision (1900 x 1949)]
Skelmervie 1997 [alternative name for Luthrie Bank]
No satisfactory etymology suggests itself for this strange name. It is reminiscent of Skelmorlie (stressed on the first syllable), a village on the Firth of Clyde in Largs parish AYR. It may in fact be this name, transferred from AYR, and somewhat damaged in transit. For a more certain example of a transferred name in CRC, see Carphin CRC, above.
Andrew Wedderburn of Mountquhanie, who rented and farmed Luthrie Bank in 1997, knew this farm also as Skelmervie. Two fields on the farm were then still known as Little Skelmervie (centred at NO323201) and Big Skelmervie (NO326201). The site of Skelmervie on the OS maps in 1888 × 1914 and 1900 × 1949 is shown as Luthrie Hall on OS 6 inch 1st Imperial edn (1948 × 1977). The name Broomhill on the OS 1:10,000 (2007) appears to apply to the same site.
The above NGR is that of Luthrie Bank.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4