Luthrie CRC S NO331196 1 362 65m
De manerio de Lothry 1294 PRO E101/331/ [printed Lochry Stevenson, Documents i, 416; part of ‘Cuparshire and Rathilletshire’, annual rent to earl of Fife £17 6 s. 8 d. ‘from the manor of Luthrie’; see PNF 5 App. 2]
(David of) Louthre 1345 Lind. Lib. p. 42 [o.c.; a knight of William of Brechin]
David Berclay de Luter c.1400 tomb inscription [see discussion, below]
(David Barclay of) Luthery 1421 Laing Chrs. no. 99 [w.]
terrarum de Luthry 1451 ER v, 467 [‘with its mill’ (cum molendino ejusdem)]
40 marcas terrarum de Luthre 1452 RMS ii no. 545 [king to Douglas of Cavers (Caveris) ‘40 merks of the lands of Luthrie’; 1 d. silver in blancheferme]
de firmis terrarum de Luthry 1451 ER v, 467 [£53 6 s. 8 d. ‘from the fermes of the lands of Luthrie’ ... with its mill]
de gressumis terre de Luthre 1453 ER v, 531
10 mercatas terrarum de Luthre 1452 RMS ii no. 555 [king to Archibald Newton (Newtoun) of Dalcove ‘10 merklands of the lands of Luthrie’]
(Andrew Kinloch of) Luthre 1518 Fife Ct. Bk. 99
Luthry 1522 RMS iii no. 227 [16th part of the toun and lands of Luthrie to Henry Clerk; for other 16th parts and divisions see ibid. nos. 733–5, 2481, 2528]
molendinum de Luthery 1527 RMS iii no. 418 [to John Murray, the king’s barber, ‘the mill of Luthrie’]
(Andrew Kinloch of) Luthrye 1545 NAS GD1/34/7
Litthry 1590 x 1599 Pont 54B
L<u>thry 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
Luthry 1654 Blaeu (Gordon) Fife
Luthree wake miln 1746 St A. Tests. 64 [waulk mill]
Lethrie 1775 Ainslie/Fife [‘Robt. Bailey Esqr.’]
Luthrie 1788 Sasines no. 1899 [‘tenements in and about Luthrie, parts of the shades called Stale Dales and Skilmervie’ CRC; see Skelmervie CRC]
Luthrie 1828 SGF [also shows Luthrie Place]
Luthrie 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
? G lothar + – in or ? G loth + ? – ar or – er + – in
The meanings of G lothar include, according to Dwelly (s.n.) ‘assembly’ and ‘cauldron, trough’. In fact, these two meanings of G lothar represent two different words in OG: lothar (with a short o) ‘gathering, assembly’ and lóthar (with long ó) ‘trough, vat, tub’ (DIL). ‘Place of the tub or trough’ is an apt description of Luthrie’s position at the bottom of a steep hollow in the Ochils.
Another possibility is that it contains a word related to OG loth ‘mud, mire, quagmire, marsh’ (DIL), which Dwelly gives as Sutherland Gaelic for ‘marsh’, and is found in the Sutherland parish-name Loth (see also W. J. Watson 2002 , 64). This would also aptly describe the land here, especially the area immediately south of the present village. If this is the word involved, then we have to assume the addition of the suffix –ar or –er, perhaps with collective force (cf Dollar CLA), as well as the suffix –in.
The inscription, recorded in RCAHMS Fife (66 ff.) on a grave at the old parish kirk of Creich (now in the new parish kirk at Luthrie), and now illegible, is given as ‘Hic jacet David Berclay de Luter dominus de Prisgyll’, died 1400. It also marks the grave of his wife Helen Douglas, who died 29 January 1421. See Millar 1895 ii, 334 for a drawing of this tomb.
Luthrie Mill, first appearing in 1527, was probably at the same site as the corn mill built at Luthrie in the eighteenth century at NO3313 1953 (NMRS NO31NW 3).
On Ainslie/Fife (1775) a Wauk Mill is shown north-east of Lethrie, while east of Lethrie is a building marked Soap Pans.
OS Pathf. also shows Lower Luthrie Farm. See also Luthrie Bank below.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4