Stenhouse

Stenhouse BUI S NT212881 1 395 120m WEF

(lands of) Stanihous 1555 x 1583 Dunf. Reg. p. 480 [lands of Stanihous and Moyes (Moyhous)]
Strane hous 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 440
Stanehous 1561 Dunf. Reg. p. 461
Stanehous 1588 RMS v no. 1476 [vill and lands of Moyishous and Stanehous alias Knokdowue (or Knokdowne) given to Robert Melville of Murdocairnie KLM]
Stanehouse 1588 Yester Writs no. 863 [Stanehouse alias Knokdone (for Knokdoue)]
Stanehous 1594 RMS vi no. 75 col. 4 [vill and lands of Moyhous and Stanehous alias Knokdouu (or Knokdoun), part of lands of Dunfermline Abbey given to Queen Anne]
Stanhouse c.1750 RHP1022
Stonehouse 1775 Ainslie/Fife
Stonehouse 1828 SGF

Sc stane + Sc house

The stone-built structure referred to in the name is most likely Knockdavie Castle, which now stands c.100 m. north-west of the present farm of Stenhouse. See Knockdavie BUI above.

/ˈstɛnhəus/, locally /ˈstɛnhus/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 1