Trafalgar CLS S NO280129 1 55m
Trafalgar 1827 Ainslie/East Fife
Trafalgar Inn 1828 SGF [in the north-west corner of the cross-roads]
Trafalgar 1831 RHP3554 [in the north-west corner of the cross-roads]
Trafalgar Inn 1855 OS 6 inch 1st edn
Trafalgar Inn 1948 x 1977 OS 6 inch 1st Imperial edn
This was the first building to be erected at the crossroads formed by two new turnpike roads dating from around 1800, and by-passing Collessie village (see Silver 1987, 173; for the earlier road network, see the 1775 Ainslie/Fife map for CLS, reproduced above). The turnpike from Cupar due westwards via Strathmiglo was completed in 1805, the year of the battle of Trafalgar (loc. cit.). According to George Calley, Grizel or Girsie Read had sold ale from her house in Collessie village, and, anticipating the opening of the new toll road, she built an inn in 1803 at the crossroads-to-be. No name had been given to this inn when completed, but when the post runner was delivering messages to Grizel he informed her of Nelson’s victory at Trafalgar, and she immediately decided to name it accordingly. Some years later a large picture of Nelson’s victory was painted on canvas and stuck on the inn wall. OS Name Book (1854) describes Trafalgar Inn as a hamlet consisting of about half a dozen cottages together with a wright’s shop and smithy, and that it obtained its name ‘from its being erected about the time the battle of Trafalgar was fought’ (54, 35). The inn closed in 1926 (Calley , 210, with an old photo of Trafalgar Inn on p. 211).
The western part of the building on this site is now called Trafalgar House, the eastern part Cornhill Cottage.
The older pronunciation was /ˈtrafəl gar/, but this has been generally superseded by /trəˈfalgər/.
This place-name appeared in printed volume 4