Shiells

Shiells CLS S NO2809 1 373 40m

    Schelis 1509 RMS ii no. 3363
    (half of) Schelis 1540 RMS iii no. 2114 [barony of Leuchars-Ramsay; with half of Lurgmyre, place for catching eels (eilstand) and their fishing, and with commonty there; see LEU Intro., Lordship and Baronies, for full text]
    (half of) Schelis 1540 RMS iii no. 2168 [‘with tenants’ (cum tenentibus)]
    Scheillis c.1560 s Assumption, 33 [‘the Mylhill, Scheillis and Bowis’’]
    (half the lands of) Scheillis 1567 Retours (Fife) no. 63 [Leuchars-Ramsay]
    Sheillis 1653 RMS x no. 183 [see Bowhouse CLS, above]
    Shellis 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Shells Bridge 1654 Blaeu (Pont) East Fife
    Shiel Bridg 1684 Adair/East Fife
    Shiels House 1775 Ainslie/Fife
    Shiels 1828 SGF

Sc sheil

‘Sheilings’; one of a group of names in Scots and Gaelic in the flattest parts of the Howe of Fife which indicate the intensive use of this area as summer pasture by the surrounding communities, with abandonment during the winter, when much of the land would have been under water. For more details of this, see Taylor 2002a, 2006. See also Bowhouse CLS above and Nochnary KTT (PNF 2).

/ʃilz/

This place-name appeared in printed volume 4